Search This Blog

Monday, September 17, 2012

The Sad Life of a Fantasy Football Owner on Sunday




Every Sunday, millions of owners in fantasy football leagues watch nervously as numbers on a computer screen dictate their happiness for the day. I’ll admit, there have been a few times I’ve screamed at my computer in the middle of a family lunch, only to explain that a Wide Receiver for a random team caught a touchdown pass. It is a sad reality that too many fantasy competitors have experienced. However, there is no situation more tormenting then the fantasy team vs. real team moment. It’s happened to all of us, and will continue to happen.
Let me explain. I love the Jets. I live and die by their victories and losses. I bleed green. Literally. It gets a little gross sometimes. But anyway, as much as I love the Jets, I also love my fantasy teams. It’s not just the idea of winning money I love, it’s the pride, the bragging rights over my friends. Fantasy football is more than just a game. It’s a way of life. So, when my opponent this week had the Jets defense on his fantasy team, I was torn. What it meant was, for every point the Jet opponent, the Pittsburgh Steelers, scored, my opponent did worse. So, yesterday, as I watched the Steelers march down the field and approach the Jet end zone, I was lost. Did I want them to score? Did I want the Jets to stop them? As any other sane fantasy owner would do, I started rooting for impossible scenarios. I hoped the Steelers would score, but that the Jets would throw for a touchdown on the first play. I would say that I’d do 25 mitzvot for the Jets to be able to win even if they gave up 30 points. I sat peeking through slits in my fingers hoping for a miracle. However, after the Steelers whomped the Jets 27-10, I realized that even though my opponent’s defense did poorly, I was unhappy because the Jets had lost. (Disregard that I still got destroyed in fantasy this week regardless of the poor Jet defense performance).
Mark Sanchez gets roughed up by the Steelers Defense

And so B-Readers, as your sports columnist, my first piece of advice is, as Dorothy put it, “there’s no place like home.” No matter what money, pride, or bragging rights may be on the line, your heart will always be with your home team, and that is whom you must root for. So, next week when I go up against Mark Sanchez (The Jets Quarterback) in fantasy, I will not root against him, nay, I will root as hard as possible for him to toss three touchdowns and win the game for the Jets. It’s simple, instead of rooting against him, I’ll just root against everyone else on my opponent’s team.

B-Readers, get ready for an awesome year of sports, fun, and everything Binghamton. I hope to entertain you while keeping you updated on the sports world and average sports life of a college student. Buckle up, it’s gonna be a fun ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment